Saturday, September 2, 2023

Popgala '73, Sporthal de Vliegermolen, Voorburg, Netherlands, 3-9-1973, Part 2: Ry Cooder

Next up from the Popgala '73 rock festival is a set by slide guitarist Ry Cooder. Happily, I was able to find enough material for an album's worth of songs.

As I mentioned in the write-up for the previous album in this series, I often have cobbled these albums together from different sources. That was the case here. The first five songs came from one source and the last four came from a different source, yet one song ("Billy the Kid") was the same between them. So who knows what the correct song order is. However, I watched the video, and Cooder left the stage after "Jesus on the Mainline," and the few songs before that were filmed without pause. 

So I think this is pretty close. However, it's very possible that additional songs were played that I've missed since they weren't included in any of the released film footage. 

Cooder did his entire set in solo acoustic mode. Mostly, he played slide on the acoustic guitar. But I believe he switched to mandolin for some of the songs.

This album is 39 minutes long.

By the way, note that I'm continuing the numbering from the first volume, in case you want to put all the albums from the festival into one folder for a single, continuous listening.

022 Floating Bridge (Ry Cooder)
023 talk (Ry Cooder)
024 F. D. R. in Trinidad (Ry Cooder)
025 Ditty Wa Ditty (Ry Cooder)
026 Dark Is the Night [Instrumental] (Ry Cooder)
027 Now That I'm Going Down (Ry Cooder)
028 Clean Up at Home (Ry Cooder)
029 Tattler (Ry Cooder)
030 talk (Ry Cooder)
031 Billy the Kid (Ry Cooder)
032 Jesus on the Mainline (Ry Cooder)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15645240/Popgla73_02_RyCoodr.zip.html

The cover photo is from this exact concert. However, the original was in black and white. But I was able to watch video of his performance on YouTube, so I was able to get the colors exactly correct. That includes his unusual shirt, which was generally blue near his neck, but morphed to shades of red father down.

No comments:

Post a Comment