Sunday, August 21, 2022

Supertramp - BBC Sessions, Volume 2: 1974-1975

I've already posted a volume of Supertramp performing for the BBC. That contained BBC studio sessions. This is another volume of more studio sessions. After this, they didn't do any more BBC studio sessions that I know of. However, they did record two concerts for the BBC, so I plan on posting those as well.

Supertramp was formed in 1969, but languished in obscurity for most of the early 1970s. It was only in 1974 with the release of the album "Crime of the Century" that they started to have big success. Their success continued in 1975 with their "Crisis? What Crisis?" album.

When I put together the songs for Volume 1 in this series, I found many early BBC performances had poor sound quality, so I didn't include them. With this volume, the sound is significantly better, despite the fact that everything here is officially unreleased. 

Only two of the songs, "School" and "Crime of the Century," come from proper BBC radio studio sessions. "Dreamer" and "Rudy" were played on the BBC TV show "The Old Grey Whistle Test." Supertramp did two concerts in 1975 that were broadcast on BBC radio. I will post one of them in full as Volume 3 in this series. The other one only has three different songs, so I've put those as the last three songs here.

"Dreamer" has "[Edit]" in its title not because of BBC DJs talking over the music. Thankfully, that was very rare by the mid-1970s. Instead, it's because I found a glitch that I patched up with a different section of the song.

This album is 39 minutes long.

01 School (Supertramp)
02 Dreamer [Edit] (Supertramp)
03 Rudy (Supertramp)
04 Crime of the Century (Supertramp)
05 Ain't Nobody but Me (Supertramp)
06 A Soapbox Opera (Supertramp)
07 From Now On (Supertramp)

https://www.imagenetz.de/fkefb

For a band that sold tens of millions of records, it's surprisingly hard to find good photos of them. This can be seen on their album covers, which never show the band members. I guess they were really modest or shy or something. As a result, I had to resort to taking a screenshot of their "Old Grey Whistle Test" TV appearance. It's pretty low-res, and only shows three band members. If anyone has a better color photo from this time, please let me know so I can use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment