Friday, October 22, 2021

Various Artists - Covered: Curtis Mayfield, Volume 4: 1995-2020

Here is the fourth and last of the Covered series for soul great Curtis Mayfield.

Tragedy struck Mayfield in 1990. During a concert, some lighting equipment fell on him, paralyzing him from the neck down. Despite this, he managed to put out one more album in 1996, "New World Order," which was hailed as a musical comeback. Unfortunately, he died only three years after that, in 1999, at the relatively young age of 57.

This generally consists of covers of his songs from the 1960s and 1970s, although "Here but I'm Gone" is from his 1996 album. As one can see, his musical influence remains strong up until the present day.

There were a couple of songs I wanted to find covers for, but I couldn't find any released versions of them. Happily, I was able to find very good unreleased versions. Eric Clapton has only done "Here but I'm Gone" in concert. I was able to find a pretty good sounding version from a bootleg recorded in Osaka, Japan. And nobody at all seems to have covered "So in Love," even though it was a hit back in the 1970s. But I found a nice version done on YouTube by two artists that have put out their own records.

Although this is the end of the Curtis Mayfield Covered series, I have many, many more musicians I plan on featuring with their own Covered series.

01 We're a Winner (Mother Earth)
02 Kung Fu (Dirtbombs)
03 The Makings of You (Angie Stone)
04 Fool for You (Rory Block)
05 We Gotta Have Peace (Charlatans)
06 This Is My Country (Cyril Neville)
07 We People Who Are Darker than Blue (Sinead O'Connor)
08 Everybody Needs a Friend (Joan Osborne)
09 Here but I'm Gone (Eric Clapton with Doyle Bramhall II)
10 Talkin' about My Baby (Phil Collins)
11 Pusherman (Sheila E.)
12 So in Love (Adeaze & Tone6)

https://www.imagenetz.de/kaB3v

The cover art photo comes from 1995. You can see a bit of the wheelchair he is sitting in behind his head.

4 comments:

  1. Can I suggest Tom Springfield as a possibility for a future "Covered"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I don't know much about what he's done, other than the Seekers hits and a couple collaborations with Paul Simon.

      Delete
  2. Hey, the link is not working anymore, apparently. Could you post it again? Thanks!!! And keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete