Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Glenn Tilbrook - Quarantine Songs (2020)

Just as a reminder, Glenn Tilbrook is the lead singer of Squeeze, and has cowritten virtually all of their songs. As I write this, Squeeze is still together, though they have a long history of breaking up, then getting back together. Instead of taking the more common approach of making videos of acoustic performances during the coronavirus lockdown, he's put out one new song a week using a full band. Apparently it was all done remotely with musical associates (none of whom seem to have been other Squeeze members).

Tilbrook started posting videos of these songs in mid-April 2020. Three weeks ago (late July), he announced that week's song would be the last one of the series. Since then there hasn't been anything new from him, so I figure it's okay to post this and consider it the complete collection. As you'll see below, all of the performances are covers. It's a pretty strange bunch of songs, even though most are famous and have a poppy sound. I suspect the only commonality is that they were songs Tilbrook liked and had fun performing. He could put them out for free on the Internet without having to worry about sales figures or critical reviews or the like.

All the songs are presented in the order he posted them on-line. This matters, because he claims that most of the songs have a musical clue to what the next song in the series would be. For instance, the guitar solo in the first song "Hackensack" makes a reference to the melody in the second song, "Jerusalem." And since I'm mentioning "Jerusalem," note that that's an instrumental backing track from the 1910s that backs a poem written by William Blake from the 1800s. He was inspired to play it after hearing it in an obscure movie from the 1930s!

The songs add up to 49 minutes, which is a pretty ideal length for an album.

Here's a list of the original performers for each song:

01 Hackensack - Fountains of Wayne
02 Jerusalem [Instrumental] - Sir Hubert Perry
03 My Boy Lollipop - Millie Small
04 Jesus Was a Cross Maker - Judee Sill
05 I Must Be in a Good Place Now - Bobby Charles
06 Wichita Lineman - Glen Campbell
07 Everyday People - Sly & the Family Stone
08 I Do Not Miss You - Steve Nieve
09 She's Gone - Hall & Oates
10 Dolly My Love - Moments
11 Don't You Want Me - Human League
12 Cruel - Millions
13 BHS - Sleaford Mods
14 Lovely Day - Bill Withers
15 Wonderful - Beach Boys

Here's the usual song list:

01 Hackensack (Glenn Tilbrook)
02 Jerusalem [Instrumental] (Glenn Tilbrook)
03 My Boy Lollipop (Glenn Tilbrook)
04 Jesus Was a Cross Maker (Glenn Tilbrook)
05 I Must Be in a Good Place Now (Glenn Tilbrook)
06 Wichita Lineman (Glenn Tilbrook)
07 Everyday People (Glenn Tilbrook)
08 I Do Not Miss You (Glenn Tilbrook)
09 She's Gone (Glenn Tilbrook)
10 Dolly My Love (Glenn Tilbrook)
11 Don't You Want Me (Glenn Tilbrook)
12 Cruel (Glenn Tilbrook)
13 BHS (Glenn Tilbrook)
14 Lovely Day (Glenn Tilbrook)
15 Wonderful (Glenn Tilbrook)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15328304/GlnnTilbrk_2020_QuarntineSngs_atse.zip.html

The cover art uses a screenshot from one of the song's videos.

8 comments:

  1. Hi. My problem is that when I go to the 'zippyshare' download, my computer gives me the 'malicious' warning, and I can never, ever acquire any of this stuff. Anyone else have this happen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. My problem is that when I go to the 'zippyshare' download, my computer gives me the 'malicious' warning, and I can never, ever acquire any of this stuff. Anyone else have this happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're having that trouble, I highly recommend you grab this stuff through the free file sharing program SoulseekQT. It's all there too.

      Delete
  3. Hey Paul, thanks for posting these. I had seen that he was doing this and kept thinking I should check it out and now thanks to you, I don't have to go searching for 'em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why we get paid the big bucks to do this! ;)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for these! Huge (Difford and) Tilbrook fan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. This makes a really nice compilation.

    ReplyDelete