Wednesday, October 12, 2022

DBMT (Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich) - Festival - Non-Album Tracks (1970-1972)

Recently, I posted an album by DBMT, a group that was essentially the 1960s British pop rock group Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich. But in 1969, Dave Dee left the group, the rest of them went with the new name DBMT, and they drastically changed their sound. Gone were the simple pop hits written by outsiders. Instead, they were heavily influenced by Crosby, Stills and Nash, both in their acoustic harmonies mode and rocking mode. 

Normally, this wouldn't have been of much interest, except it turns out they were really good at it. I posted their album "Fresh Ear," released in 1970 to very small sales compared to the band's hit-filled heyday. But I posted it because I think it's a lost gem that needs to be rediscovered.

It turns out the band's fortunes continued to decline. I suspect that if they'd been a brand new group, they would have gotten more positive attention and would have been on the upswing. But it seems they couldn't shake their Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich past despite the new name, and by 1970 the reputation of their old group was about as uncool as one could get in the music business. As a result, the band's record company never allowed them to record a second album in their new style. However, they did get to put out a few singles from 1970 to 1972 while their commercial fortunes continued to decline. The band petered out after that, although various members restarted the group years later to tour the oldies nostalgia circuit.

This album collects the band's songs from their DBMT years that didn't make it on the "Fresh Ear" album I posted. In my opinion, this is also very solid stuff and stands as an impressive album on its own. I was a little short of material, so I included four songs that I already posted on the third volume of the band's BBC albums: "Helplessly Hoping," "Bluebird," "Wedding Bells," and "Sweden." These are songs they only did for the BBC. Had they put out an album in 1971 or so, it seems probably those would have been on it. By the way, note the Crosby, Stills and Nash influence with the covers of "Helplessly Hoping" and "Bluebird." These BBC songs sound great; you can't tell they weren't studio tracks instead.

This albums is 38 minutes long.

01 Festival (DBMT)
02 Frisco Annie (DBMT)
03 Come and Stay with Me (DBMT)
04 Helplessly Hoping (DBMT)
05 I Want to Be There (DBMT)
06 For the Use of Your Son (DBMT)
07 Bluebird (DBMT)
08 Wedding Bells (DBMT)
09 Sweden (DBMT)
10 They Won't Sing My Song (DBMT)
11 Sarah (DBMT)
12 She's My Lady (DBMT)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15109392/DaveDBMT_1970-1972_DBMTFestivl_atse.zip.html

The band's popularity declined so drastically during this time period that I couldn't find any good color photos for the cover. However, I found a cover of one of their singles and used that. I cleaned it up a bit, and removed the song titles, replacing that with the album title I'd chosen.

3 comments:

  1. This and the first volume of "DBMT" are a really nice find, thanks. Like almost everyone else, I figured their career ended when the 'bubblegum' era came to an end; Not every song on these two albums is a winner, but the overall ratio is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I agree. And I like the CSNY-esque vibe.

      Delete