Saturday, July 7, 2018

Van Morrison - Wonderful Remark - Non-Album Tracks (1972)

Here's the next in my long series of Van Morrison stray track albums. Maybe more than any other artist, I'm continually amazed at the quality of the songs that Morrison didn't officially release in the late 1960s and 1970s. If you're a fan of his music and you don't have these, you're really missing out!

All of the songs on this album come from 1972. I think it's one of the strongest of his alternate albums. All but one of the songs ("Spare Me a Little") comes from the 1998 archival release "The Philosopher's Stone." Insofar as people know about Morrison's "lost" studio work, they tend to focus on an album called "Mechanical Bliss" from around 1975. But that was just one of many "lost" albums for him. I read some quote from him where he stated that his record company at the time was very minimalist in terms of how much studio material they'd release, allowing just one album a year. But he was coming up with much more good music than that, and there's probably even more still locked in his vaults that has never been bootlegged.

As a result of this song backlog, in later years when he wasn't so inspired he sometimes redid earlier songs. The title song here "Wonderful Remark" is a good example of that. It would eventually become a Van Morrison classic, but only after he released a different version in 1983.

This album is 47 minutes long.

01 Laughing in the Wind (Van Morrison with Jackie DeShannon)
02 Lover's Prayer (Van Morrison)
03 Drumshanbo Hustle (Van Morrison)
04 Don't Worry about Tomorrow (Van Morrison)
05 Madame Joy (Van Morrison)
06 Spare Me a Little (Van Morrison with Jackie DeShannon)
07 There, There Child (Van Morrison)
08 Wonderful Remark (Van Morrison)
09 Try for Sleep (Van Morrison)
10 Contemplation Rose (Van Morrison)

https://www.upload.ee/files/15257182/VanMrsn_1972_WondrfulRmark_atse.zip.html

For the cover, I could only find one good color photo of Van Morrison that I knew for sure was taken in 1972. It was an irregular shape and I wanted to show all of it, so I added art nouveau designs on the sides to fill out the rest of the cover.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Good idea. I just posted some more Who. :)

      Delete
  2. Nice. Did you consider "You've Got the Power"? It was the B-side of Jackie Wilson Said but hasn't been seen since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put that on my 1971 Van Morrison stray tracks album already. The reason I did that was because there's a very similar (but not quite as good) version of the song on an unreleased 1970 acetate, so I figure he had that song around for a while when he stuck in on a B-side in 1972.

      Delete
  3. These are from the Hard Nose The Highway sessions, which was originally going to be a double album (nixed by Warners). I assembled it from the available tracks, and it works very well. Better than the single album version. I could upload it (@192) if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I'd be interested in seeing that. That's strange that they're from that album session, since I find almost all of the songs that didn't make the album better than the ones that did make the album!

      Delete
  4. I've re-titled it Warm Love, so your iTunes doesn't get confused, given it an appropriate cover, and carefully sequenced the album sides so it flows nicely all the way through.

    ReplyDelete