Saturday, August 1, 2026

Robyn Hitchcock - The Chapel, San Francisco, CA, 12-27-2018 (John Wesley Harding)

Robyn Hitchcock has written many hundreds of songs himself. But even so, he loves performing cover songs as well, so much that he sometimes performs entire classic albums by others from start to finish. I've already posted a bunch of those, and here's another. This time, he did "John Wesley Harding," the great 1967 album by Bob Dylan. 

Most of the cover albums I've posted by Hitchcock so far were performed at the Three Kings club in London, with a full band. But this one took place in San Francisco, and is in solo acoustic format. Dylan's original album was with a band, but the backing was pretty sparse, mostly just Dylan on acoustic guitar, harmonica, and/or piano, plus bass and drums. So Hitchcock, also on acoustic guitar, harmonica, and/or piano, wasn't that different.

The original Dylan album is only 38 minutes long. This concert, however, is almost two hours long. In addition to performing the entire album, he warmed up with three other Dylan covers. 

Strangely, he also did two more covers during the album, "Dear Prudence" by the Beatles and "Dear Doctor" by the Rolling Stones, after playing "Dear Landlord" by Dylan. (He thought the Beatles and Stones were inspired to write songs in the "Dear..." format. I don't know if that's true, but the timing lines up, since the other two were written within a year of the release of Dylan's song.)

Then, after the album finished, he did still more Dylan covers ("I Threw It All Away" and "Senor (Tales of Yankee Power)"), but also songs by the Band ("Caledonia Mission") and John Lennon ("God"), plus two songs he'd recently written himself ("Serpent at the Gates of Wisdom" and "Those Guys Are All Dead Now"). On top of all that, there's plenty of banter between songs, in his usual entertaining stream-of-consciousness style.

This originally was an audience bootleg. It was a pretty good one though, helped by the fact that it's easier to record a solo acoustic show, especially with a small, polite audience. But I improved the sound of every single track, so much so that this sounds as good as a soundboard or FM radio broadcast. For all the talking tracks, I ran them through the Adobe speech enhancer, and improved the clarity a long. Then, for all the songs, I ran them through MVSEP's "Reverb Removal" filter. That made a big difference as well.

This sounds really excellent now, even though everything here is unreleased. These filters are steadily improving with updates. Writing this in August 2026, this wouldn't have sounded this good if I had done these same audio edits even two years ago.  

This album is an hour and 58 minutes long. 

01 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
02 Mr. Tambourine Man (Robyn Hitchcock)
03 Visions of Johanna (Robyn Hitchcock)
04 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
05 Clothes Line Saga (Robyn Hitchcock)
06 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
07 John Wesley Harding (Robyn Hitchcock)
08 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
09 As I Went Out One Morning (Robyn Hitchcock)
10 I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine (Robyn Hitchcock)
11 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
12 All Along the Watchtower (Robyn Hitchcock)
13 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
14 The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest (Robyn Hitchcock)
15 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
16 Drifter's Escape (Robyn Hitchcock)
17 Dear Landlord (Robyn Hitchcock)
18 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
19 Dear Prudence (Robyn Hitchcock)
20 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
21 Dear Doctor (Robyn Hitchcock)
22 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
23 I Am a Lonesome Hobo (Robyn Hitchcock)
24 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
25 I Pity the Poor Immigrant (Robyn Hitchcock)
26 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
27 Wicked Messenger (Robyn Hitchcock)
28 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
29 Down Along the Cove (Robyn Hitchcock)
30 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
31 I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (Robyn Hitchcock)
32 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
33 I Threw It All Away (Robyn Hitchcock)
34 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
35 Caledonia Mission (Robyn Hitchcock)
36 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
37 Serpent at the Gates of Wisdom (Robyn Hitchcock)
38 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
39 Senor [Tales of Yankee Power] (Robyn Hitchcock)
40 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
41 Those Guys Are All Dead Now (Robyn Hitchcock)
42 talk (Robyn Hitchcock)
43 God (Robyn Hitchcock)

https://pixeldrain.com/u/3YkDVR5v

alternate:

https://bestfile.io/en/R7pn4yIaQZuE0nv/file

The cover image is a parody of the original cover for Dylan's "John Wesley Harding" album. I came across a version of this that was used to promote this concert. However, I redid the text and moved some of it around a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment