This recording contains two sets of about thirty minutes each. One can hear an announcer introduce Mitchell at the start of each set, so it all seems pretty clear. It seems that all of her 2nd Fret recordings can be broken up into sets of about 30 minutes, often with an announcer introducing her at the beginning of each set. For instance, I know when the first set ends and the second begins, because we can hear an announcer introducing her at the start of "Little Green," a song that's about halfway through this recording. I've labelled the early and late set info in the mp3 tags.
Anyway, regarding the sound quality, this one sounds excellent. As with the other concerts in this series, I carefully adjusted the volume within songs, and especially for the between song better, to make a better listening experience. The same problems I mentioned in the first album in this series happened here, but I think I pretty much fixed them. For instance, I once again removed some prolonged guitar tuning, except in cases where she was talking while tuning.
By the way, it appears Mitchell knew she was being recorded, because at one point, she had a verbal interaction at the start of a song ("I Don't Know Where I Stand") with the person recording the bootleg. We can only hear her side of the interaction. I think she says: "Are you rewinding, sir? ... Oh, you are? ... We're on the air? Oh no! ... That always scares me. Air fright."
I'm pretty sure the person she was talking to was Gene Shay, a Philadelphia folk music DJ who had her on his radio show multiple times in 1967 and 1968 before she was famous, when almost nobody else would. It's believed he's the one who recorded all three known 2nd Fret bootlegs, in order to play excerpts from them on his radio show at a later date, which he in fact eventually did. (But most of the time, when she was on his show she performed a few songs live between interview segments. I'll post some of that stuff at a later date.)
01 Night in the City (Joni Mitchell)
02 Come to the Sunshine (Joni Mitchell)
03 talk (Joni Mitchell)
04 Chelsea Morning (Joni Mitchell)
05 talk (Joni Mitchell)
06 Conversation (Joni Mitchell)
07 I Had a King (Joni Mitchell)
08 talk (Joni Mitchell)
09 Cactus Tree (Joni Mitchell)
10 Little Green (Joni Mitchell)
11 talk (Joni Mitchell)
12 Marcie (Joni Mitchell)
13 talk (Joni Mitchell)
14 The London Bridge Song (Joni Mitchell)
15 talk (Joni Mitchell)
16 Ballerina Valerie (Joni Mitchell)
17 Michael from Mountains (Joni Mitchell)
18 talk (Joni Mitchell)
19 Go Tell the Drummer Man (Joni Mitchell)
20 I Don't Know Where I Stand (Joni Mitchell)
21 talk (Joni Mitchell)
22 Both Sides Now (Joni Mitchell)
https://pixeldrain.com/u/pKM7vcaB
For the cover art, check my comments for the first album in this 2nd
Fret series. In short, I used bits of an actual 2nd Fret poster or
handbill of a Mitchell concert there in 1967 for the top and bottom
sections. The main difference here is the middle picture. For this show,
I used a photo of her performing on the Canadian TV show "The Way It
Is" in December 1967. It was the closest good photo I could come up
with. Since it's in black and white, I colorized it.

Thanks. Sometimes it's hard to keep all the dates & shows straight.You did a great job.
ReplyDeleteWould love to get this on pixaldrain..........I'm from Philly.....I loved the Sigma Sound albums-B Joel-America & Bonnie Raitt......Not sure if there are anymore........Brings back memories.........Thanks.........
ReplyDeleteI just redid the links for all three of Joni's 2nd Fret shows.
DeleteThanks so much!!!!
Delete