Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Gregson & Collister - BBC Sessions, Volume 1: 1985-1989

I feel a little silly, because I just posted the first Gregson and Collister BBC album a couple of weeks ago (as I write this in mid-September 2026), and already I have to rename that one from "Volume 1" to "Volume 2." That's because this is a collection of different BBC sessions, and after I posted that album, a commenter pointed out a 1985 session I'd previously missed. So that made this one start at an earlier year than the 1987 concert I've posted. Thus, the second BBC album I'm posting from them is "Volume 1."

Here's a link to that other volume, so you hopefully don't get even more confused by having two BBC albums by this duo called "Volume 1." 

https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2026/09/gregson-collister-bbc-sessions-volume-1.html

Anyway, that 1985 session mentioned above opens this album with two songs, and it's a very interesting one. I'm pretty sure it was recorded (for the BBC TV show "Old Grey Whistle Test") before Gregson and Collister officially became a duo with that song. Instead, they were members of Richard Thompson's backup band, and those two songs were performed by that band, including some nice lead guitar interplay between Gregson and Thompson.

Tracks 3 through 8 comes from a 1988 BBC "In Concert" radio broadcast. I put it here instead of making a separate volume for it because it's only 20 minutes long. It happens to contain "Home Is Where the Heart Is," which also was played in the 1985 session discussed in the previous paragraph. I changed the song order some so those two versions wouldn't be so close to each other.

Tracks 9 through 11 are from a 1989 BBC studio session. I don't know anything about it except it's supposed to be dated March 3, 1989. If anyone knows more, please let me know.

The remaining tracks, 12 through 18, are from another 1989 BBC studio session. More details can be seen in the mp3 tags.

I believe everything here is unreleased. The sound quality is excellent. 

This album is an hour and two minutes long. 

01 Home Is Where the Heart Is (Gregson & Collister with Richard Thompson)
02 Open Fire (Gregson & Collister with Richard Thompson)
03 This Tender Trap (Gregson & Collister)
04 You Rascal You (Gregson & Collister)
05 I Specialise (Gregson & Collister)
06 talk (Gregson & Collister)
07 How Weak I Am (Gregson & Collister)
08 Home Is Where the Heart Is (Gregson & Collister)
09 Blues on the Run (Gregson & Collister)
10 Everybody Cheats on You (Gregson & Collister)
11 This Is the Deal (Gregson & Collister)
12 Blessing in Disguise (Gregson & Collister)
13 Trying to Get You (Gregson & Collister)
14 The Minute You're Gone (Gregson & Collister)
15 talk (Gregson & Collister)
16 Here I Go Again (Gregson & Collister)
17 talk (Gregson & Collister)
18 I Shake (Gregson & Collister)

https://pixeldrain.com/u/Gmv44CNm 

alternate:

https://bestfile.io/en/bQvbfyWKBsT6lfb/file

The cover photo comes from a concert at the Ann Arbor Folk Festival, in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in January 1989.

No comments:

Post a Comment