I'm still trying to figure out the contours of the Matthews collection. The person who has it and is releasing it to the public, Charlie Miller, isn't giving many advance hints, but we can start to surmise some things from the concerts posted so far. One thing I'm learning is there are many very similar concerts getting posted. For instance, in the last week (writing this on September 27, 2026), all the posts have been of 1970 concerts by the Youngbloods. There were concerts from this venue on March 27th, 28th, and 29th. But there's also a Youngbloods concert at Santa Clara University, one from Berkeley Community Theater, and one from a club called Euphoria in San Rafael. Out of those six concerts, I only plan on posting this one, because they all have very similar set lists and this one is the longest, with the most songs performed. But it's interesting in that it suggests there are recordings from many venues, especially in the San Francisco Bay Area.
In 1969, the band released the album "Elephant Mountain." In my opinion, it's their best album. It's got a lot of critical praise. For instance, it was included in the popular book "1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die." Naturally, a lot of songs performed here are from that, as well as unreleased songs that would come out on their next albums. In late 1970, they would release a live album called "Rock Festival." The songs from that come from five different Bay Area venues. It's not clear which songs were from which venue, but at least one song came from this exact concert. So this could explain why this and other Youngbloods concerts are in the Bob Matthews collection, because the band was recording a lot of concerts with the intention of making a live album.
Weirdly, though, for this concert as well as the ones on the two previous nights at this venue, the song "Darkness, Darkness" wasn't performed. That was their biggest original hit song, which was released as a single in 1969 and then again in 1970. (It did better the second time.)
I've included all the songs and banter from this concert. However, there was a fair amount of dead air between songs, consisting either of guitar tuning or just near silence. I removed about ten minutes total of that.
This album is an hour and 28 minutes long.
01 On Beautiful Lake Spenard [Instrumental] (Youngbloods)
02 Josiane (Youngbloods)
03 talk (Youngbloods)
04 Sugar Babe (Youngbloods)
05 Interlude [Instrumental] (Youngbloods)
06 It's a Lovely Day (Youngbloods)
07 Sweet Little Sixteen (Youngbloods)
08 talk (Youngbloods)
09 Hippie from Olema (Youngbloods)
10 talk (Youngbloods)
11 Quicksand (Youngbloods)
12 On Sir Francis Drake (Youngbloods)
13 Peepin' 'n' Hidin' [Baby What You Want Me to Do] (Youngbloods)
14 talk (Youngbloods)
15 Lovesick Blues (Youngbloods)
16 She's Long, She's Tall [She Weeps like a Willow Tree] (Youngbloods)
17 talk (Youngbloods)
18 Good Times (Youngbloods)
19 talk (Youngbloods)
20 Peace Song (Youngbloods)
21 Beautiful (Youngbloods)
22 Let's Get Together (Youngbloods)
23 talk (Youngbloods)
https://pixeldrain.com/u/BkdWkG7o
alternate:
https://bestfile.io/O05zchQobMARyuo/file
The cover image of lead singer Jesse Colin Young is a screenshot I took from a video of the band performing on an unknown TV show around 1969.

Thank you so much for sharing this show. I'm a long-time Youngbloods fan. I was lucky enough to see them in 1969 at the Fillmore East and then several times in 1970/71 in college gyms. Their live shows have been rare finds until the Charlie Miller/Bob Matthews treasure trove. I've been looking for a link to where the batch of Youngbloods shows were posted by Charlie and haven't yet found it. I have found the Grateful Dead link and obtained several 1970 shows plus the 1970 JA show you did not choose to post. Is there any chance you would share the link you've been using since you are only posting this one of many of their shows? Maybe that will send me in the right direction to stay on top of these amazing releases. In any case, thanks so much for the incredible wealth of music you share. Your hard work is really very much appreciated!
ReplyDeleteThese are first getting posted at a music sharing site called Lossless Legs. You have to apply to join that one. But they're quickly getting reposted at Guitars101. I just did a search there, and all the Youngbloods ones are already posted there. Good luck, have fun, and don't die.
DeleteThanks very much for the help Paul. I found the shows on Guitars 101 and downloaded several. I figured out why these weren't in the Charlie Miller Facebook link I've been using. He's apparently shared the job of posting the Matthews archive with David Minches who is also well known in GD taping circles. David is apparently posting them to the sites you've led me to. So now I'll be following those sites as well to see what else emerges.
ReplyDeleteGlad to be of help. Two more Youngbloods recordings posted today. I wish they'd move on and start posting some non-Youngbloods things too...
Delete